Albany Port Authority
Albany Port was the first Port in Western Australia, being the site of the first European settlement in WA in 1826. For many years it was the only port for the state and its growing population.
The port is located on the north shore of Princess Royal Harbour,with port waters and seabed extending throughout Princess Royal Harbour and King George Sound as far as Bald Head, Breaksea Island light and Herald Point.The Sound and two natural harbours adjoining it make this area a safe haven for ships and an ideal location for a port.
Today Albany is a bulk products port, with the main trades being the export of grain and woodchips. Other smaller trades are the export of silica sand and the import of fertiliser and fuel. Total yearly trade is strongly influenced by seasonal conditions and the resulting impact that has on agricultural production. Annual trade can therefore vary between 3 million - 4 million tonnes.
Albany Port is now a part of the Southern Ports Authority. For further information please click here
Port of Albany Community Consultation Committee Go to page